Understanding our state’s capabilities and building collaborations in different fields and business sectors is critical to growing the state’s economy. One key to a full understanding is being able to assess the capabilities and assets of NC’s higher education and research institutions in these sectors.
REACH NC began as a way to allow North Carolina to tap into its own vast pool of experts and resources. As home to major research institutions, Research Triangle Park and a robust public university system, North Carolina is also the home to world-class scientists, engineers, artists and humanists.
We use advanced technologies to uncover these expert resources and reveal connections so that individuals and groups can quickly and easily form teams to solve problems and compete for research funding. REACH NC gives users the ability to search and browse thousands of expert profiles, use sophisticated visual analytics tools, and make connections to colleagues down the hall or across the state—all through an easy-to-use Web portal.
REACH NC is a Web portal that enables users to search, browse and find thousands of experts and assets within North Carolina higher education and research institutions. REACH NC’s expert profiles can assist people in industry, community groups and university personnel in efforts to find information and potential collaborators for research and problem-solving.
The prototype system was launched using data on researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University. The system is constantly evolving and now contains over 10,000 profiles representing experts from seventeen UNC system universities, Duke, North Carolina Research Campus, and RTI.
Within REACH NC you can answer a wide range of questions:
- are the experts at the individual, unit and institution levels?
- has been awarded grants and sponsored programs and from what sponsors?
- publications of interest are available at our institutions?
- courses are or have been offered in specific fields?
- experts are working together or could be working together?
Over the next 12 to 18 months, REACH NC will evolve in the following ways:
- Addition of new organizations and expert profiles
- Identification of data sources to enrich social science, humanities, and arts profiles
- Integration of institutional and other data on faculty activity with REACH NC